Image from BCIT
Well, maybe now is not the right time with the holidays right around the corner, but soon after would be good if you’re leading a municipality in BC and want to get your new team rowing in the same direction.
We have written a number of articles about strategic planning over the past few years (as listed below) so we’re going to keep this one short.
Suffice to say that strategic planning at the start of the new Council term is the perfect opportunity to bring your team together and think creatively and comprehensively about the path ahead – what your organization and community must achieve in these next critical years as we face a perfect storm of housing, health, climate, and economic challenges.
We’re here to help. Not only will we help you look at trends impacting local governments, but we’ll help you prioritize strategies and navigate trade-offs while applying a sustainability lens. We’ll create a memorable team building experience that ensures your process and end product help you navigate what’s ahead. We have assisted a number of municipalities with strategic planning over the years and can bring this experience to support your team.
- Resort Municipality of Whistler (2018, 2021, 2022)
- Lower Mainland Local Government Association (2015, 2021)
- District of Tofino (2016, 2020)
- Town of Smithers
- City of New Westminster
- The Villages of Montrose, Fruitvale, and Masset
“Developing a strategic plan is one of the most important and sometimes elusive tasks for Councils and their management teams. The strategic planning process led by [WCS] has created the clarity and focus we need for the next four years – and it brought our managers and Council team together in a forum of equals. A clear, well-designed process has us all moving in the same direction. [WCS] did a superior job documenting our outcomes into a plan that our team uses every day.” – Bob Macpherson, former CAO, District of Tofino
Previous strategic planning articles:
- Beyond the SWOT – Adding more rigour to your strategic planning process (September 2022)
- Developing a code of conduct as part of strategic planning (April 2022)
- Silly Season Can Still Be Strategic (November 2021)
- A predictable planning and engagement cycle doesn’t have to be boring (June 2021)
- Strategic Planning – A Good Move (November 2020)
- Strategic Planning – A Jumpstart to Success with Your New Team (September 2018)
- Alberta, elections are finished, now get everyone moving in the same direction! (October 2017)
- Ensure Your Team Achieves Results by Fall 2018! (March 2017)
- Is Your Team on the Same Page? (August 2015)
If you’d like to learn more about our strategic planning services, please contact sgordon[at]whistlercentre.ca or 604-906-0310.