$500 in Funding Available for Five ‘Neighbourhoods Work’ Block Parties – Call for Lead Volunteers
The “Neighbourhoods Work Block Party” is a new and innovative initiative that aims to bring together neighbours and community organizations in a fun gathering to build social connections and to foster conversations for even more extraordinary neighbourhoods.
Made possible through funding from the Evergreen Foundation the project is being coordinated by the Whistler Centre for Sustainability. There is funding of up to $500 for each event with five volunteer led neighbourhood block party opportunities up for grabs.
One of the goals of this project is to help foster deeper community connections which it itself tends to support individual wellbeing, but these connections also help to develop a foundation for neighbours to self-organize to better their neighbourhoods with community organizations and to respond in potential emergency situations.
- Neighbourhoods Work Toolkit Guide
- Neighbourhoods Work Application Form
- Neighbourhoods Work Fillable Event Poster
* Save documents prior to filling in the forms and then save again.
Top Ten Reasons to Host a Neighbourhood Block Party
- Have fun!
- Meet your neighbours, make new friends and build meaningful connections
- Build stronger neighbourhood connections
- Celebrate your neighbourhood and community
- Deeper sense of pride and belonging
- Better understanding of local community resources and service organizations
- Discover what local skills and talent exist in your neighbourhood
- Help cultivate a healthy community and social resilience
- Promote safety and help prevent crime
- Foster a sense of ‘we’re all in it together’, look after your neighbour
Neighbourhoods around Whistler, for example: Cheakamus Crossing/Function, Bayshores, Creekside, Alta Vista, White Gold, Nesters, Whistler Cay, Alpine or Emerld.
August – led volunteers apply for funding
September & October – Neighbourhoods Work Block Parties are held
Dan Wilson 604-966-4457
Whistler Centre for Sustainability
The Evergreen Foundation’s mission is inspiring action to green cities. They believe they can solve even the most pressing urban environmental issues by bringing diverse people together, inspiring them with possibilities and engaging them in identifying solutions and taking action.