The 7th Annual Building Sustainable Communities: Innovation Through Collaboration conference is on November 21-24, 2017 at the Delta Grand in Kelowna, BC. Hosted by the Fresh Outlook Foundation (FOF) this highly acclaimed and hugely popular event draws people from all...read more
If you’re welcoming in a new, or predominantly new, Council, getting everyone working as a team and moving in the same direction is critical. In addition to Council orientation that is typically done, strategic planning is another key undertaking to get your team...read more
Is your community facing an affordable housing crunch? Do you have some good policies in place but aren't sure how to move forward? Affordable housing remains a challenge for communities large and small throughout BC. Although the magnitude of affordable housing...read more
Nicolette Richer has found her purpose. She loves being a social entrepreneur and can’t imagine doing anything else. She sees no differentiation between work, life and play anymore and every day she wakes up excited, energized and inspired. She claims that the hardest...read more
The average Canadian has $4,000 worth of ‘stuff’ sitting idle in their home, 80% of which gets used less than once per month. Keith Hammermeister presented these staggering stats during a convincing pitch for his venture Gear Share Hub during the Social Venture...read more
Affordable housing remains a challenge for communities large and small throughout BC. While almost all communities in BC have policies in their Official Community Plans (OCPs) supporting the development of affordable housing, implementation of these policies and...read more
Seniors now account for 18% of BC’s population, and for some small BC communities the proportion is closer to 30%. And while the definition of ‘senior’ seems to be changing and up for debate, one thing is for sure: we’re all aging. And baby boomers – the largest...read more
Is it possible to grow the local economy, support new entrepreneurs, protect the environment and do good for the community? The Centre created the Social Venture Challenge to do exactly that. We’ve just wrapped up the program for the third year in the Sea to Sky...read more
Social Venture Challenge Success Story – Ski Heaven Diverts Over One Metric Tonne of Waste from the Landfill
Any skier who has thrown out an old pair of skis can appreciate the pain involved in the process. A non-skier might think “what’s the big deal?”, but a skier knows that a simple pair of skis can represent innumerable mountain memories… laughter, tears, joy, awe,...read more
Jeff Anderson started making homemade dog treats not because he knew he wanted to start a business, but because he wanted healthier food for his beloved canine companions, Doobie and Lilly. At eleven years old, Doobie had developed several lumps on his body. After paying a visit to a holistic vet, Jeff discovered that these lumps were likely due to malnutrition during Doobie’s key growing years.read more
The “Neighbourhoods Work Block Party” is an innovative initiative that aims to bring together residents, neighbourhoods and community organizations in a fun gathering to build social connections and to create even more amazing neighbourhoods. The initiative is made possible by the Community Fund for Canada’s 150th, the Community Foundation of Whistler, the Government of Canada and extraordinary leaders from coast to coast to coast.read more
With just under 2 years before the fall 2018 municipal elections in BC, it’s time to check in on your strategic plan! Are any adjustments necessary based on newly emerging opportunities, challenges or community needs? The District of Tofino undertook a mid-term review and update of their four-year strategic plan in November. We assisted the District to develop their strategic plan in 2015, and went back to design and facilitate the review and update process, including a nearly full-day workshop with Council and senior staff.read more
- Summer 2017: Hot Topics for the Summer
- Spring 2017: Social Venture Challenge 2017 Kick-off
- Spring 2017: Spring into Action with the Whistler Centre
- Winter 2016: Growing Event Tourism Workshop in Kamloops
- Summer 2016: Town of Canmore & City of Surrey
- Spring 2016: SVC Doing Good Through Business Event
- Fall 2015: UBCM 2015
- Fall 2015: Strategic Planning Webinar
- Spring 2015: Social Venture Challenge call for applicants
- Spring 2015: Airbnb Syndrome: A New Opportunity to get Residential Nightly Rentals Right
- Spring 2015: Still Moving Towards your Community Goals?
- Winter 2014: New Council? Get Everyone Moving in the Same Direction
- Fall 2014: Strategic Planning for Local Governments
- UBCM 2014: Connect with Us
- Spring 2014: Time to update your Municipal Development Plan? Consider an Integrated OCP!
- Winter 2014: Chart Your Course for 2014: Time for Municipal Strategic Planning!
- Fall 2013: Start the Term with a Bang
- Summer 2013: Five tips for ‘hot topic’ public engagement
- Spring 2013: Is Your Community Moving Toward More Sustainable Prosperity?
- Winter 2012: The Importance of a Vision