The Social Venture Challenge (SVC) 2016 builds upon the success of our 2015 program and continues to encourage, support and grow new social ventures in the Squamish, Whistler, Pemberton and Lillooet region through capacity building, mentorship, and raising awareness. The SVC program supports entrepreneurs with the development of their social ventures business idea/concept through capacity building, mentorship, and raising awareness.
- Cutting Barriers will offer skills-based training workshops to help people with barriers to employment;
- Dooshi, creates pet food and treats from restaurant waste;
- Sea to Sky Relocations, focusing on helping retirees downsize and relocate in an environmentally responsible manner;
- Rainwater Harvesting Solutions with TBI Irrigation, which will help people save rainwater and promote efficient water practices;
- DealsinWhistler.com, a mobile coupon service that provides free, convenient and quality advertising for local businesses
- School Ground Gardens connects children to the source of their food, the environment, and their community through school ground gardens; and
- Seed Box an edible garden in a box subscription service
Congratulations to all the 2016 participants on successfully pitching their ventures at a Dragons’ Den style community pitch event. We are pleased to announce that Renee McNeil, founder of Cutting Barriers, took home the $5,000 prize from Squamish Savings.
Social Venture Challenge 2016 in the News